Roofing materials are of several types from standard asphalt shingles to more costly and expensive materials, such as wood or slate. It is important to hire a contractor who specializes in the type of roof that you might have in your home or might be planning to have in your new project. There are many things to consider when hiring a roofing contractor, and following or just some of such things to consider.
- Decide what type of roof you are looking for. Are you looking for asphalt or wood shingles? Or is the blackboard more of your style? Your decision will depend largely on the style of your home and your budget when hiring roof service Auckland.
- Consult with more than one roofing contractors. Ask the builder, your friends, and neighbors, for recommendations for roofing service Auckland. If you are having difficulty in finding contractors, try contacting the local builders association to see if they can suggest someone.
- Find out more about contractors out and get their price quotes for the project. Provide them access to the property and ensure that all contractors are bidding on the same type of roof (such as a specific grade of asphalt shingles).
- Make sure roofing service Auckland are including the removal of old roofing material in their offers. (Note that it is not always necessary to remove the existing cover when installing a new one.)
- Make sure that each roofer has experience with the type of roof that they will be installing. Most roofers have experience with asphalt-pebbles, while wood and fiber cement are specialties. If you are installing an expensive wood or slate roof, you would want a contractor who has experience in this area. Ask to see the images of their work on previous projects.
- Ask for references and check them out. Are their previous clients happy with the work that was done for them and if their work was really at par to what you are looking for?
- Get a legal work contract that mentions cost, payment schedule, the material to be used, the start date and the end date. Try to minimize the deposit paid to the contractor before the start of the work or during delivery of materials.
Tips and warnings
A roofing square covers 100 square feet of surface. Labor costs are also a price in general per square.
Asphalt shingles are the most common roofing material and are available in many grades depending on what kind of budget you have for roofing service Auckland, with guarantees of up to 40 years.
The wooden tiles cost two or three times more than the asphalt tiles do. Fiber cement is usually considered the most expensive and the most durable. Most ‘slate’ ceilings are made from a fabricated material, but the real slate is still considered the top class tile in the market.
Roofing is quite a complex tax and your project may be subject to weather-related delays so also make sure to query about that during contract dealing.